i. love. batter.
anything i make that consists of batter, pre-baking – you can betcha i am licking that bowl and spatula until they’re dry.
(besides, a good friend told me once that it doesn’t have calories until you bake it. bless her.)
that is why i fell in love with these cake batter bars… BATTER.
i mean, aren’t you drooling a little bit? and the best thing is, you don’t have to worry about eating all the batter before you put it in the oven, because it’s pretty much still batter after you take it out!
funny story. the first time i made these there was way more batter than i thought and when i took it out of the oven (even after cooking it about 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for) it was basically brown and crisp on the outside and totally raw on the inside. learn from my mistake. READ THE DIRECTIONS. make sure you see that the recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup of the cake mix. NOT the whole box:)
cake batter bars
1 1/4 cup funfetti cake mix
3/4 cup AP flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 heaping tablespoons sprinkles of your choice (i used a whole, 1.75 oz container of sprinkles, which was about 4 heaping, and it was plenty)
1. preheat oven to 350F. grease an 8 x 8 inch pan (i’ve used a 9×12 and it worked fine too).
2. cream both sugars, butter, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk.
3. gradually mix in flour, cake mix, and baking soda until just mixed. stir in sprinkles.
4. spread batter evenly into greased pan.
5. bake for 30-35 minutes until top is lightly browned and middle still jiggles slightly. cool completely before cutting.
recipe & photo via